Reading Fundamentals Content Literacy Units integrate reading skill and strategy instruction with the study of content area subject matter, specifically science and social studies.
Within the Reading Fundamentals framework, there are opportunities to read to students (mentor texts), to read with students (shared texts), and to have students read independently (books or texts at their independent reading levels). Reading selections are carefully curated to foster deep domain knowledge and understanding while simultaneously enhancing vocabulary, comprehension, and genre knowledge.
Included with Each Unit
- Anchor/Mentor Texts (5–6 mentor texts and 3–13 short-shared texts)
- Standards Alignment and Correlation Chart
- Unit Introduction and Overview
- Interactive Read-Aloud Lessons (8–10)
- Mini-Lessons (6–12)
- Transition to Independent Reading and Guided Practice
- Conference Questions
- Lesson Extensions
- Assessments (Formative & Summative)